Ballpark figures for most common projects
- An average patent prior art search will cost you $500 – 1,500. This is a little higher than some quotes you’ll see, but I take this phase more seriously than most firms. A good prior art search prevents unnecessary costs further down the line. Furthermore, I use my prior art search report as the basis of the patent application itself.
- The average utility patent application will cost you $3,000 – 5,000. This includes legal fees, illustrations, and USPTO filing fees. This is where you’ll really save money working with me!
- A design patent costs about half as much as a utility patent.
- A simple trademark application will cost you $500 – 1,000.
- Your total lifetime cost will be about twice the cost of your initial application, spread out over a year to a decade.
Hourly rates: $150 – 200 / hr
- Unless contracted otherwise, I bill all of my time hourly, rounded to the 1/4 hr. That includes correspondence with you (consultations, phone calls, and emails).
- The rates below apply to new clients after 1/15/19 and existing clients after 2/15/19.
- The rate is $200 / hr without credit card pre-authorization. Maximum three hours service will be provided before payment is due.
- The rate is $150 / hr with credit card pre-authorization. If I have your credit card information on file, then I will send you a statement and charge the card weekly. Please fill out and return this credit card pre-authorization form.
- If you must finance the charges, we can spread out your credit card payments over time for a finance fee.
Call now for a free initial 30-minute consultation. Call 310-478-6146 or use the appointment calendar.
Only your VERY FIRST consultation is free. After that, please be clear that all correspondence with Scot, whether it be a reserved consultation, a phone call, or email, is billed by the 1/4 hour. Please direct your scheduling / billing questions to Tiffany, NthDegreeAssistant@gmail.com, as there is obviously no charge to talk to her.
- Correspondence with me, including phone calls and emails, is billed by the 1/4 hr. Correspondence with an assistant is not billed; email NthDegreeAssistant@gmail.com
- I prioritize cases first by deadline and then by date submitted with payment.
- I charge a 25% “expedite” fee to prioritize your case over others or to meet short-term deadlines, generally less than a month. (Don’t wait 11 months before completing your non-provisional applications!!! Grrr … )
- Estimates / flat fees: Most of my matters are close-ended, with a particular end goal. When I assess each matter, I will provide you with an estimated range of likely hours and a maximum “cap”. If you prefer a flat fee for a project exceeding $1,000, it will be 25% above the maximum likely estimate.
- Example: A client requests a utility patent prior art search, and I provide a likely estimate of $500 – 1,000, capped at $1,500. The client would prefer a flat fee, which I quote at $1,250.
- This office does not offer written contracts or fee negotiations for projects under $1,000.